Elbistan Grand Mosque
This mosque was built by the Ottomans in the 16th century. The central dome rests on four piers and is supported by four half domes on the sides and small domes in the corners. The minaret on the northwest side of the mosque has an octagonal base and cylindrical minaret. There is a "Mahkhar Mahfili" or library of religious texts in the mosque. This collection is important as it is the oldest original ‘mahfil’ in Anatolia.
There are different opinions about the construction of the Grand Mosque of Elbistan. According to these views; the Ulu Mosque was first built by Sultan Seljuk II. It was restored in 1240 by the Elbistan Emir Hüsameddin Çavlı on the order of Gıyaseddin Keyhüsrev.
In 1507 in the time of the Ottomans, the mosque was destroyed by Shah Ismail's destruction of Elbistan. Dulkadiroğlu Şehsuvar bey had the mosque rebuilt faithfully according to the old plan. The people replaced all the books of the mahfil. The mosque minarets have been repaired at different times. They form an optical illusion and appear to come together with the sunrise.